Dicey Spellings (by Sally Raymond)
Write the word on a card. Speak it in a sentence (make sure its meaning is understood).
Look at the role of each letter. Where and why might errors be made?
Use colour, pictures and humour to highlight ‘tricky’ letters.
Remove everything from sight.
Then play the dice game below (one dice throw for every word)
Repeat for each word and a few hours later, and again the following days.
- Spell word aloud, with your eyes shut
- Write word with your eyes shut
- Write word using your opposite hand
- Write word using bubble writing
- Draw/ write the spelling prompt… then explain it in a silly voice
- Sing a sentence containing the word.
Click here to download a printable version of this game.
For more ideas check out Sally Raymond’s “Spelling Tricks for Children”