Supporting Employers and Organisations
Adults with dyslexia may find it difficult when it comes to getting and retaining a job.
A bad experience at school can easily lead to lack of confidence and low self-esteem and especially if the difficulties were not recognised.
Problems with reading and writing can also mean it may have been difficult to obtain qualifications and may make it difficult even to apply for jobs because of the need to fill in an application form.
Employers will get the best results from their workforce if they develop an awareness of dyslexia. By implementing a range of strategies to support individuals with dyslexia better working relations can be developed leading to increased productivity, less work related stress and reduced sick leave.
Businesses and organisations can benefit greatly from employing dyslexics due to their positive strengths and attributes:
- Creativity and lively imagination
- Ability of visual, spatial and lateral thinking
- Verbally articulate
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Simultaneous multiple thought processing
- Highly aware of the environment
- Great intuition and insightful
- Excellent problem solvers
Employers also need to be aware that they are required to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ in the workplace to ensure that employees with Dyslexia are not placed at a disadvantage (Equality Act 2010).
Dyslexia Cornwall can help by offering:
- Confidential Helpline
- Confidential Advice and Guidance Sessions
- Dyslexia Screening for Adults
- Dyslexia Assessment for Adults
- Visual Stress Assessment for Adults
- Tuition for Adults
- Mentoring for Adults
- Dyslexia Awareness Workshops
- Specialist Workshops
- Support Group
There is a cost for some of these services.
For more information or to book an appointment please contact our Dyslexia Advice Centre on 01872 222 911 or firstname.lastname@example.org